Our purpose is to help our clients define and communicate their purpose of Being More and to inspire our people to make Burson-Marsteller the best ideas-driven, results-oriented communications firm in the world.
Our values are central to our commitment to Being More and our pursuit of excellence.
All Burson-Marsteller employees are committed to upholding Burson-Marsteller’s Code of Values. All Burson-Marsteller employees will:
- Comply with all applicable laws
- Comply with all industry codes that we have signed including the “Stockholm Charter” of the International Communications Consultancy Organisation and the “Code of Ethics” of the Council of Public Relations Firms
- Comply with the Code of Business Conduct of our parent company, WPP
- Impose upon ourselves a standard of ethical conduct that often exceeds applicable laws and codes
Each Burson-Marsteller office will:
- Publish our Purpose and Values and communicate them to clients, employees and other stakeholders
- Regularly review our Values internally with employees and other representatives
- Discipline employees who breach laws, industry codes, or our Values
- We undertake to be transparent in all our professional contacts with external stakeholders. In practice, this means we will identify our client in proactive external professional contacts and materials produced or distributed for a client.
- When our work involves financial support to individuals or organisations for their role in events or initiatives that we organise, we will be transparent about the funding.
- Sometimes we establish coalitions on behalf of clients to work on specific issues. Whenever we do so, we undertake to be transparent about the purpose of the coalition and principal funders.
- We undertake to be honest in all our professional dealings, including all external professional contacts. We undertake never knowingly to spread false or misleading information and to take reasonable care to avoid doing so inadvertently.
- We also ask our clients to be honest with us and not to request that we compromise our principles or the law.
- We take every possible step to avoid conflicts of interest.
- We undertake not to disclose any confidential information provided to us in the course of our work for clients, unless explicitly authorised to do so or required by governments or other legal authorities. All Burson-Marsteller employees or agents are contractually obliged to respect this undertaking on all internal matters.
- We store and handle confidential information so as to ensure that only those who are working with the information have access to it.
- We advise our clients to uphold all these values in their own external contacts related to the advice we provide them.
- We will only work for organisations that are prepared to uphold the values of transparency and honesty in the course of our work for them.
- Sometimes our clients are involved with contentious issues. It is part of our job to provide communications assistance to those clients. We undertake to represent those clients only in ways consistent with the values of honesty and transparency both in what they do and in what we do for them.
- We respect the views of employees who have serious concerns about working for any specific client or on any particular assignment. No employee will be required to work for a client inconsistent with his / her conscience. We will consider our employees views in the Firm’s decision to work on a particular client.
- Our purpose as a Firm is to achieve excellence in helping our clients succeed in Being More. This means Burson-Marsteller is committed to being more strategic, more creative, more evidence-based and more rigorous in delivering quality implementation. Our clients should expect best-in-class quality in every single office around the world.
- We are dedicated to industry-leading thought leadership and to bringing new ideas, insights, and a global perspective to our clients.
- We are dedicated to seamless teamwork and the infrastructure to encourage an integrated, connected global company. We take every step to encourage respect and support of our colleagues around the world.